Skip to main content

Tracing Your Second World War Ancestors


I borrowed ‘Tracing Your Second World War Ancestors’ by Simon Fowler* from my local public library recently and found it to be a useful and informative guide.

When I was researching my Second World War ancestor I found that it was quite straightforward to get hold of his records of service in the Fleet Air Arm from the Royal Navy Archives. There was a form and instructions that could be downloaded from the Internet and when completed sent off in the post with a cheque for £30 which seemed a bit steep but there you are.

After a wait of several weeks the available information was returned and although incomplete still fascinating.

In his book Simon Fowler guides you through a whole range of potential sources for all the UK services and even some of the civilian roles. For example, he gives information about researching ancestors who might have been Bevin Boys including some interesting weblinks.

My grandfather was a coal miner and was required to continue in that occupation during WW2. Simon Fowler records how the Minister of Labour, Ernest Bevin, told the first cohort of newly recruited coal miners that the war effort needed 720,000 men to be working flat out producing the tonnage of coal that was needed. During the course of the war 50,000 recruits (a staggering 10% of all 18 – 25 year old draftees) became Bevin Boys.

As I explained in I Think I Prefer the Tinned Variety: The Diary of a Petty Officer in the Fleet Air Arm during World War II my dad, Norman Buckle, had left school and started working for the local Council in October 1940. Although he was brought up in a coal mining village he didn’t intend to follow his father, grandfather and great grandfather down the pit. He wasn’t drafted as a Bevin Boy because he volunteered for the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Navy as soon as he was old enough.

Simon Fowler’s book put me onto The Fleet Air Arm Archive** for job descriptions for technical and support staff. I’d looked at this website several times while researching the background to I Think I Prefer the Tinned Variety: The Diary of a Petty Officer in the Fleet Air Arm during World War II but not found this section. I’ve had another look today and still can’t find it but there is a wealth of information on the site for anyone who is researching World War II ancestors who served in this branch of The Royal Navy.










Comments