Skip to main content

The starting point

After I retired I spent many a happy hour researching both my own and my husband's family histories. Eventually though, I came to a dead end after I had explored every aspect of the lives of even the most distant relatives. I had already sorted through a box of old photos that had been in the loft for years and had labelled as many of them as I could. Now I turned my attention to an old, homemade, hard backed notebook with the initials N.B stencilled on the deteriorating hessian cover. I knew that this was a collection of photographs and postcards that my dad, Norman Buckle, had stuck in the book accompanied by captions in his tiny, precise handwriting. Folded into the book were lots of pages torn from an old diary for 1943 and several sheets of notepaper covered in that same spidery handwriting. This was to become the starting point for my book I Think I Prefer the Tinned Variety: The Diary of a Petty Officer in the Fleet Air Arm during World War Two.
Link to amazon UK book page
Link to amazon USA bookpage

Comments